In 1961 Auckland Harbour Board took control of the old pumping station on Tamaki Drive and it was sold to the Navy League.
In 1964 TS ACHILLES commissioned and Navy League HQ was opened by the Governor General.
On 11th December 1993 TS ACHILLES gain a Youth Charter.
Our name sake
HMNZS Achilles was a Leander-class light cruiser which served with the Royal New Zealand Navy in the Second World War, the second of five in the class. Originally constructed by the Royal Navy, she was loaned to New Zealand in 1936 before formally joining the new Royal New Zealand Navy in 1941. She became famous for her part in the Battle of the River Plate, alongside HMS Ajax and HMS Exeter and notable for being the first Royal Navy cruiser to have fire control radar, with the installation of the New Zealand-made SS1 fire-control radar in June 1940.
HMS Achilles was originally built for the Royal Navy, and was commissioned as HMS Achilles on 10 October 1933. She would serve with the Royal Navy’s New Zealand Division from 31 March 1937 up to the creation of the Royal New Zealand Navy, into which she was transferred in September 1941 and recommissioned HMNZS Achilles. Her crew was approximately 60 per cent from New Zealand.
“FORTIER IN RE”
This is our units motto, not to be confused with the Sea cadet motto “ready aye ready”.
“Fortiter in Re” is Latin for resolute in deed or bravely in action.